“The
business of business is to increase its profits”
Being a right-centred economist,
I had some thoughts and comments that I would like to share after reading the
paper by Friedman (1975). Ironically, I do not agree on his reasoning, but I
agree on his conclusion for a different explanation, let me show you why.
I do not agree the way he reasons that an
executive is becoming a non-democratically chosen civil servant, by imposing
taxes because he is spending “the money
in a different way than [the stockholders or the customers or the employees]
would have spent it” (Friedman, 1970) . I do not agree that
a tax is imposed, because my definition of a tax is “an compulsory payment
to a governmental body where no individual performance of the governmental body
to the payer is returned”. In the case of the stockholders, no tax is
imposed because stockholders are free to fire the executive if the latter party
is not acting as agreed on in the job description. If stockholders agree on
Social Responsible business policy for whatever reason (improvement of the
company’s image or conscience), it is no longer compulsory but free choice. So
the obligated part of my definition is not compelling with his reasoning for
stockholders.
No tax is imposed on the
customers, because in a market of free competition with product
differentiation, consumers can chose to buy another product. In that case the
compulsory payment is not applicable. Another important point where I don’t
agree with Friedman’s reasoning, is that in my definition the purchase of a
Social Responsible product is private, so an individual performance is a
returned consequence of my purchase. A good example is the difference between street
lightning, where I am obligated to pay for in the form of taxation but I get no
individual performance because street lightning is not only for my personal
usage, and eggs, where I have the choice of buying biological (Social Responsible)
ones or not according to my own preferences and I can exclude other users if I
want, meaning that I get an individual performance for my purchase.
Employees, when for example
their wage is reduced to produce in a more social responsible way, have the
freedom to get another job and are therefore not obligated to make a payment,
in the form of a wage reduction, to the company. Therefore they are not being
taxed according to my definition of taxation.
Because neither of the three main groups an
executive has a professional relation with, are being taxed according to my
definition, a Social Responsible businessman is not being “simultaneously [a] legislator, executive and, jurist” (Friedman, 1970) by imposing taxes
and making expenditures to foster social objectives, while he has not been
elected through a political process but by being selected by the stakeholders
to serve their interests.
Friedman’s reasoning about why a
Social Responsible executive spending money on this cause, “belonging” to either
the stockholders, consumers or employees, is taxing those relations, concludes with
the following point of view of the so-called “doctorine of social
responsibility: “"social
responsibility" involves the acceptance of the socialist view that
political mechanisms, not market mechanisms, are the appropriate way to
determine the allocation of scarce resources to alternative uses” (Friedman, 1970) , on which I do not
agree, just like Friedman. I believe that sustainable Social Responsibility can
only be achieved by market mechanisms without governmental interference, just
like Friedman, and for that I make the following reasoning which is different
from Friedman, assuming a situation of complete competition and product
differentiation.
I
believe that Social Responsible products are claimed on the demand-side of the
economy when the government is not interfering but acting as an informative
actor about the consequences of consuming. This increasing demand over time will
result in an increase of the supply of Sustainable Responsible products. If the
government would act as an interfering body in the market by supporting those
products, an unsustainable system would emerge: when the supporting,
interfering government is not able to fulfill these tasks, the market for
Social Responsible products would collapse on the short term. So the only
possibility for a sustainable market is to stimulate the demand-side, by the
supply of information about products from cradle to grave, resulting in
increasing prices for non-Social Responsible products passing the point of
decreasing prices of Social Responsible products.
References
Friedman, M., 1970. The Social Responsibility of
Business is to increase its profits. The New Yokr Times Magazine, 13
Septemer.
Quite the analysis. I was a bit puzzled about the tax you mentioned at first, thinking we would only be talking about increasing profits of business. But I got the message now. I can only say well done, once again well structured.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenAnother well written blog post. I have not much to remark except for one thing, that I makes me wonder a bit; you make it seem like stakeholders, mostly talking about employees and stockholders, have a lot more power than Friedman conveys to us though his paper. Mentioning that those employees can go and stand wherever they would like, or that stockholders are able to fire the executive, I can’t help but wonder if this would be true in a real life situation.
BeantwoordenVerwijderen