donderdag 2 oktober 2014

Friedman-proposition

     I concluded my blog about the Friedman proposition by agreeing with the statement “the business of business is to increase its profits”. But amusingly, I did not agree when I started writing my own thoughts about it.

     I began with arguing that businesses have the freedom to produce whatever they want and how they want. But during my own reasoning, I realised that if a sustainable business is not able to sell its products or services, it will not be able to maintain. So therefore I changed the point that I planned on to make when I was writing my thoughts about the business of business, from not agreeing to agreeing on it.
     But I do not agree on the way he builds his arguments for the statement. I have built my own argument on the believe that consumers can change the supply, which is something that I learned in my bachelors Earth Science and Economics. So I am not sure what literature helped me to develop that opinion in what way.

     The actual reasoning I made was not collected from any material, I tried to build up an argument on why I did not agree, but in the end only our reasonings were very different but I agreed on the Friedman proposition.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I don´t clearly get why the freedom to produce is related to the fact of not selling. what factors would make a "sustainable business" not able to sell? Do you have examples on this?
    There are many reasons for why consumers change supply and one of them can be the product´s environmental impact, so this argument can also be a counter argument because in this case profits wouldn´t be the only concern.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi Josefine,
    I agree that consumers can change supply. Actually, I always believe in the idea that whatever products or services there are being sold is a mirror of society. No matter how weird, polluting or green a product is, it is only produced because there is groups of people that want the products.

    So far I can only agree with what you are saying, since what you describe is a personal devolopment that you have made since the beginning of this course.It seems you learned more about your personal opinion along the way which is good!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen